The Queensland Government has announced a grant program to support small businesses impacted by the State’s shutdown restrictions. Up to $10,000 will be available to eligible businesses to assist with adapting and maintaining business operations through these challenging times.
Please note there is limited funding – applications will be assessed on a ‘first come, first served’ basis.
How the Funding can be used:
- Financial, legal or other professional advice to support business sustainability and diversification
- Strategic planning, financial counselling or business coaching aligned to business development and diversification
- Building the business through marketing and communications activities, for example, content development (web pages, mobile apps, visual and audio media etc)
- Digital/technological strategy development
- Digital training or re-training to adapt to new business models
- Capital costs associated with meeting COVID-19 Safe requirements
- Specialised digital equipment or business specific software to move business operations online (e.g. logistics program for online ordering)
- Meeting business costs, including utilities, rent
Note: Grant funds can also be used towards any of the above activities occurring from 23 March 2020 onwards, keeping in mind the project must be completed within a maximum of 6 months from the date of approval.
Once the program budget has been fully allocated, applications for the program will close. It is estimated that approximately 10,000 small businesses will be supported through this program.
Applying small and micro businesses must meet the eligibility and assessment criteria to be considered for funding.
To be eligible, the business must:
- Have been subject to closure or otherwise highly impacted by current shutdown restrictions announced by Queensland’s Chief Health Officer on 23 March 2020
- Demonstrate that business revenue has been significantly impacted since 23 March 2020 over a minimum 1-month period due to the onset and management of COVID-19
- Employ staff and have fewer than 20 employees at the time of applying for the grant
- Have a valid Australian Business Number (ABN) active as at 23 March 2020
- Be registered for GST
- Have a Queensland headquarters
- Have an annual turnover over $75,000 for the last financial year
- Have a payroll of less than $1.3 million
- Not be insolvent or have owners/directors that are an undischarged bankrupt.
Only 1 application will be accepted from an individual ABN or a financial beneficiary of a business.
Successful applicants cannot reapply for funding under this grant program.
Applying for the Grant:
To apply, complete the following steps:
- Read the eligibility criteria
- Read the application guidelines, terms and conditions and frequently asked questions (FAQs)
In addition to meeting the eligibility criteria, applications will be assessed against the following:
- Funding availability – applications will be processed on a ‘first come, first served’ basis, and therefore not all applications will be successful
- Submission of a complete application form, with all requested supporting documentation included (i.e. your application must contain the requested supporting documentation, otherwise you will be contacted to provide appropriate evidence and this may delay your application’s progress)
- Value for money, as determined by DESBT.
Funding will be paid upon approval of your grant application.
Within 1 month of completing the project, applicants must:
- Complete and submit an acquittal report through SmartyGrants
- Submit copies of supplier invoices and proof of purchase for the total project cost.
Grant recipients may be subjected to a random audit by DESBT to ensure that the information provided is true and correct. Where it is found that false or misleading information has been provided, penalties may apply, including refunding to DESBT some or all of the grant funding.
For more information about the program and application process, phone 1300 654 687 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
View the 2019–20 Small business grants schedule to help plan your applications for grant rounds.